Monday, February 27, 2012

Hamsters, Remediation Group, Number Sense FREEBIES

Okay, so I am sorry if you expected to hear about how my hamsters are in a remediation group involving number sense but that is just not the case. 

I wanted to give you an update after my previous post 10 Animals in My Bath Tub that I now have at least 11 hamsters living in my bathtub (as of Sunday night)! That's right, Mama hamster (who's name is LUCKY, HA YEAH RIGHT!) has given birth to another 4 hamsters. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Now that I have gotten that out of my system I wanted to tell you about how much I LOVE MY SECOND GRADE TEAM! They are AWESOME! We decided about a month ago that some of our little crab cakes could really use some math remediation. So we have all given up either ourselves or our TA's in the afternoons on a rotating schedule to make sure that our students get what they need. We have been trying to work on things like renaming numbers and subtraction with regrouping but they are really missing basic number sense. I am hoping that Common Core next year will give us the freedom to SLOW THE HECK DOWN! I feel like we have to cover so much material that we are not given a lot of freedom to adjust pacing. 

All of this (minus the hamsters) inspired me to look for some number sense resources because that is what our friends really need and I am in charge of planning for our group this week. I feel like I can squeeze some number sense into subtraction with regrouping right? 

1. This site is called Free Training Tutorial and their motto is "Free Education for All," so you can't go wrong here. Click on the image to find TONS of games to practice place value for all ability levels.

2. The second site is called www.math-drills.com. I am sure that you have used this site at some point but until I typed Number Sense into my search bar I never realized how much they have for this including comparing numbers, number lines, hundreds, charts, and rounding numbers worksheets.

3. I also wanted to share TWO FREEBIES. One is from one of my favorite bloggers The Teacher Wife. Lindsey posted her number sense freebie on her Teachers Pay Teachers store a while back. Most of you probably have it because it has like over 14,000 downloads. I love it. My only issue was that we use numbers far greater than the chart would allow us to use in second grade, so I made my own freebie! Check out both freebies by clicking on the images! :) 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I just awarded you with a TOP 10 BLOG AWARD!

    Come check out my blog to see the post: Hello Mrs Sykes
    Check out this link so you can grab your button.. Top Ten Award

    Congrats!

    Jen
    Hello Mrs Sykes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED having a math remediation block! I spent lots of time on subitizing, working with rekenreks (kind of like mini abacuses!), and using my Magic Number sheet (I offered it as a freebie on my blog awhile back!). I wish I still had a block with the other teachers like that, but I think it's so cool that your team all agreed to it!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...